www.fisherie.com/steelhead [email protected]
Welcome to the home of the Pennsylvania Steelhead Association. Founded in 1996, the Association was created by avid steelhead anglers to develop landowner cooperation, maintain a professional relationship with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, and actively support the 3-C-U Trout Association.
ACTIVELY SUPPORTING THE 3CU TROUT ASSOCIATION
Elk Creek Inn,
6886 Sterrettania Road,
We meet in the upstairs dining room at 7:00 PM
Regular monthly meetings on the second Wednesday of the month. There are no meetings during the months of June and July.
INDIVIDUAL$15.00 PER YEAR
BUSINESS MEMBERSHIPS ARE $50.00 PER YEAR.
JUNIOR MEMBERSHIPS, 15 YEARS OF AGE AND YOUNGER, ARE AVAILABLE FOR $5.00 IN CONJUNCTION WITH A FULL MEMBER SPONSOR. JUNIOR MEMBERS ALSO RECEIVE ALL THE BENEFITS OF A FULL MEMBERSHIP
1) Stream Cleanups: Yeah, it's dirty work but someone has to do it. The Association schedules organized cleanup days in an effort to keep the heavy traffic areas clean and promote public awareness.
2) Steelhead fishing seminars given to area Boy Scout troops, schools and other organizations. Events have included spin fishing techniques and tactics along with fly tying and fly casting. This has been great hands on experience for our young anglers of the future.
3) Initiated meetings with PA Fish and Boat Commission officials to discuss elimination of night fishing on Lake Erie tributaries north of State Route 5 because of land owner conflicts and concerns.
4) Ban on sale of steelhead eggs and skein: A natural resource should not be exploited for financial gain nor should our fish be slaughtered and discarded for their eggs. Through letters, phone calls, and faxes, an emergency executive order was issued which is now a law.
5) Volunteer assistance is given to the "Kids Fishing Derby" held at the Girard Boro Park.
6) Signs posted along tributaries stating " Please respect landowner rights - Do not litter - Smolts stocked in area, Please be gentle, they are our future.'‘
7) Volunteer cleanup of runways at the hatchery in Fairview.
8) Contributed to the Educational and Recreational Angling Calendar put out by State Legislator Tracy Seyfert.
9) Assistance to Penn State Study: We are currently helping Brad Thompson from Penn State compile data on steelhead population dynamics, segregation of fall and spring run steelhead, scale sampling for age and origin, determination and wild steelhead populations. Members are welcome to assist in this project and can receive more information by e-mailing us.
10) Great news for this Fall's steelhead run: The Walnut Creek Stream Enhancement Project is now complete. That is to say that all of the heavy equipment work is now done creating and enhancing five new pools on the lower end of Walnut Creek. It is the Association's intent to assist with bank stabilization and to monitor the success of the project. The US Fish and Wildlife Service designed the project to replicate naturally occurring pools and pockets. There are also strategically placed boulders to control the water flow and provide additional cover along with backwaters and holds created in the riffles. In addition carefully structured "chutes" were cut in the shale between the pools in an attempt to make the pools self cleaning.